About the Municipality
In the late 16th century, a Spanish colonial resettlement program was implemented across wide areas of what came to be known as the province of Cavite. The program was designed to integrate the Filipinos into the religious and political institutions of the Spaniards. Silang was first established as a mission town in 1595. Together with the other mission towns in the province, Silang became one of the centers of religious and economic activities in the first centuries of Spanish colonial rule.
Carmona used to be a barrio of the Mission Town of Silang. It was locally known as “Latag”, a tagalog word for “plain” due to the numerous hills and plains in the area. At that time, Barrio Latag was just a small farming community with a very small population.
As the population in Barrio Latag rapidly increased, religious and political separation from the town of Silang was later sought from Spain. Barrio Latag eventually became an independent municipality on February 20, 1857 by virtue of the Royal Decree issued by the King of Spain through Governor General Fernando de Norzagaray. The name Carmona was adopted as a sign of gratitude to the Spanish officials who influenced the Central Government at the time of separation of the barrio. With boundaries properly delineated and a church established, Carmona started its own religious and political administration.
The people of Carmona have actively participated in the revolution against the Spaniards. It was also witnessed the Filipinos’ resistance against the Japanese forces. During the Japanese occupation, some of Carmona’s prominent houses were used as Japanese headquarters while the hills became the stronghold of Filipino revolutionaries.
After the war, Carmona started to find its path towards economic and political stabilization. During this period, the provision of a stable means of livelihood for all the people became top priority. Since Carmona was basically agricultural, the communal agricultural lands were offered to the farmers for cultivation through lottery. This practice, held every three years, was locally known as “SORTEO” . Since then, “sorteo” has been embedded into the municipality’s traditional procedures on land ownership. To this day, farm lots are being raffled off to interested farmers, lucky winners are awarded the right to till and develop a certain section of the communal lands. The traditional practice of “Sorteo” defuses agrarian unrest and decreases tensions on land conflicts.
The municipality of Carmona is located on the Southeastern part of the provinceof Cavite. It is approximately 36 kilometers south of Manila and 38 kilometers from Trece Martirez City, the seat of Provincial Government. It is bounded on the north and south by the Municipality of BiÃ±an, Laguna; General Mariano Alvarez (GMA) on the southwest and Silang on the west. The geographical location of the site is about 120 3 latitude and 14 9 longitude.
The municipality is accessible by land transportation either through the South Superhighway or through Cavite Coastal Road passing through Aguinaldo Highway and DasmariÃ±as/ GMA Roads.
The municipality has a total land area of 3,092 hectares. This represents 2.17% of the total land area of the province.